birding-aus

Little Bitterns & other birds at Edithvale Wetlands, SE of Melbourne

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Little Bitterns & other birds at Edithvale Wetlands, SE of Melbourne
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:36:26 +1100
Andrew Silcocks of Birds Australia and I do a monthly survey at this
Melbourne Water Ramsar site. The summary of our latest survey on 23 November
reads as follows.

A total of 69 species were recorded, 51 on the South and 49 on the North.

The water on South is disappearing fast and with no rain forecast, will be
mostly dry within a week.

Good numbers of Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (2,000) and Black-winged Stilt (237)
were recorded along with smaller numbers of other waders: Latham’s Snipe
(12), Marsh Sandpiper (6), Greenshank (2), Red-necked Stint (1), Curlew
Sandpiper (2). An interesting array of other wetland species included Glossy
Ibis (8), Australasian Bittern (1), 7 Baillon’s, 4 Australian Spotted and 4
Spotless Crakes. A Peregrine Falcon was seen to take a Sharp-tailed
Sandpiper.

An exciting discovery on early morning banding surveys by Andrew Silcocks
was of two Little Bitterns. Subsequent investigation at dawn and dusk
resulted in the species being heard in three areas, two seen in one area and
one in another. In one area, the calls of separate birds were of a different
pitch indicating, we are led to believe, the presence of both sexes
considered to be a pair. The precise location may be released if and when
the birds produce young. (And it will be no good asking me because I'll be
offline until 20 December!)

Nankeen Night Herons are also being recorded in small numbers at dawn and
dusk, though are seldom seen on our daytime surveys.

A new species for the wetland was recorded a few days after this survey. On
26/11/2006, 2 Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos flew over.

Mike Carter