birding-aus

Poona & Maroom, QLD

To: <>
Subject: Poona & Maroom, QLD
From: "Lee & Margi" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 19:40:15 +1000
Hi all,

The Maryborough Birdwatchers trip this month was to Maroom, Poona & Boonaroo
(on the coast, approx 30mins drive from Maryborough, QLD) on Sat 25th Nov.

We had perfect weather and the areas we visited were a mix of beaches, tidal
flats, mangroves and forest.  We had a great day and saw plenty of birds
with a number of people getting new birds for their lists.

I managed to pick up three new ones, including my No.1 most wanted, Bush
Stone Curlew, as well as Red-winged Parrot and Chestnut Teal.  The Bush
Stone Curlews were just as fantastic as I had hoped, and I nearly missed
them.  A small group of watchers had caught up with another birder (new-ish
to birding) who had been off in another area of Poona taking photos of the
Red-winged Parrots.  He said to us he had taken some photos of a bird but he
didn't know what it was and asked if we could ID it from his photo, as soon
as it came up on the screen a couple of us gasped and said in unison 'Bush
Stone Curlew!!".  We quickly got him to show us where he sighted it and when
we arrived we saw four of them wandering around a garden.  I even managed to
get some nice pics for my collection.

The Red-winged Parrots were also a great find.  We had been told by a local
resident that they were usually seen around Poona and sure enough about
hundred metres from our lunch stop we found two happily moving about in some
mistletoe in a paperbark tree.  Very beautiful birds.  I managed to get some
pics and even managed to get a (slightly out of focus) shot showing the
small blue patch on their back.

All up, we had a fantastic day out and saw 70 species for the day.  I won't
list them all (if anyone wants a full list let me know) but the highlights
were:

Bush Stone Curlew (Poona) 4
Tawny Frogmouths (Maroom) 5 together in the one tree
Red-winged Parrots (Poona) - once we found the first they seemed to appear
all over the place
Chestnut Teal (Poona)
Buff-banded Rail (Boonaroo)
White-bellied Cuckoo Shrike (Poona)
Tereks Sandpiper (Maroom)
Striated Heron (Poona)
White-bellied Sea-Eagle (Poona and Maroom)

Its been a good week for me to see new birds, I've added 7 in the last week,
including my two most wanted (Appostlebird - seen at Gin Gin, and now Bush
Stone Curlew).

Woohoo!

Thanks & Happy Birding

Lee.