birding-aus

Wetland Forum and Bird Fair 2

Subject: Wetland Forum and Bird Fair 2
From: Keith Stockwell <>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 23:35:47 +1100
Leeton Wetlands Forum and Bird Fair.
Part 2: Leeton Bird Fair

The organisers, members of the Fivebough and Tuckerbil Wetlands Trust, may
have expected over 500 to attend this well-publicised and wello-organised
event but a combination of distance from the capital cities, the Victorian
State election and the possibility of hot days may have deterred many. And
it was hot, very hot. Extremely hot.

The fair commenced with a welcome BBQ at Fivebough Swamp on the Friday
evening. Many of us took the opportunity to walk around this large wetland.

Part of the wetland reminded me of the Reed Beds near Mathoura which I have
written about on Birding-Aus on a few occasions. But Fivebough Swamp is
bigger. Much, much bigger.

About a third of the way around the swamp, two of us were startled by a
large hissing noise in the reeds alongside the track. Startled, we quickly
stepped backwards, thinking a snake was hissing at us. I have encountered
many Red-bellied Black Snakes and even been chased by a Tiger Snake but I
can't recall having heard one hiss. In retrospect, I wonder if it could
have been a waterbird hissing at us. A rare one perhaps.

Those of us who had not visited this wetland before were amazed at the
number of Glossy Ibis which come in to roost each evening. There were
hundreds, probably thousands, of them.

There were hundreds of Black-winged Stilts, hundreds of Grey Teal, and
scores of Avocets. Other birds included Marsh Sandpiper, Sharp-tailed
Sandpiper, Great Egret, Coot, White Ibis, Straw-necked Ibis, Masked
Lapwing, Marsh Harrier, Pink-eared Duck, Black Duck, Black Swan, Pelican,
Shelduck, Darter, Baillon's Crake, Australian Bittern, Little Bittern,
Golden-headed Cisticola, Clamorous Reed Warbler and Welcome Swallow.

Part of the swamp is fed by the discharge of the adjoining sewage farm,
sorry waste water treatment facility.

I've visited a few sewage farms over recent weeks. The one at Broome
supported a great range of birds but local authorities have erected a high
fence and obstacles such as high banks which impede one's view. There was a
mystery bird on the Shepparton facility which turned out to be a Shelduck
(Photos one of our party snapped were sent to Mike Carter who forwarded the
photos to three experts for their opinions - Richard Loyn a BOCA Board
Member, Bob Swindley  who does the annual waterfowl counts at the Western
Treatment Plant, and Andrew Silcocks from Birds Australia). At the Tatura
waste water treatment facility I again didn't bother to carry my camera and
have regretted it as some Sharp-tailed Sandpipers were feeding in the water
a metre or so away. Wht impressed me greatly about the Tatura facility is
its new power station which is, or is about to, feed power generated from
methane gas into the electricty grid. But, as is too often the case, I
digress.

Part of Fivebough Swamp is fed by runoff from the nearby hills.

The swamp is administered by the Fivebough and Tuckerbil Wetlands Trust
(the local field naturalists club formerly played a role and was
instrumental in gaining Ramsar recognition for the two wetlands). The trust
has been instrumental in the construction of an attractive visitor
information centre, several viewing platforms and a bird hide

The bird fair was held in parkland in Leeton, a short distance from
Fivebough Swamp. Two large marquees were erected and there were a number of
other tents for exhibitors and food vendors.

Both the Bird Observers Club of Australia and Birds Australia had displays
as did the Trust itself and the local field naturalists club.

Speakers included:
* Dean Ingwerson (Birds Australia) ~ Painted Snipe

* Sean Dooley;

* Elisa Tack (Charles Sturt University) ~ Bush Stone Curlew

* David Parker and Michelle Ballestrin (Dept of environment and
Conservation) ~ Plains Wanderer conservation in the Riverina;

* Peter Merritt ~ eccentric bird photographer who floats in a
well-camouflaged tyre to take many of his photos;

* Annette Cook (Bird Observers Club) ~ educating children about birds;

* Laurence Barea ~ Painted Honeyeater;

* Iain Taylor ~ Australian waterbirds;

* Paul Jennsens (Australian National Botanic Garden, Canberra) ~ native
plants to attract birds;

* Amy Hankinson ~ managing our floodplains and wetlands into the future
(some environmental water is being 'stolen' via private diversion channels
and this matter should be addressed);

* Hollie Parsons & Kate Ravich ~ attracting birds to your garden, and

* Rick Webster ~ birds of the Riverina.

Dr Gillian Gilbert repeated the talk she had given to the wetland forum
about Bittern conservation in the UK. But this time it was in a very hot
marquee with a well-lit screen.

Apart from the difficulty seeing the screens in the marquees and the
extremely hot weather, it was a great bird fair. It was most disappointing
that so few attended: only about 150 passed through the gate but there were
only a handful of patrons at some of the sessions.

Some great work is being done to help conserve our birds but the overall
picture is gloomy, especially as climatic change seems likely to be at the
upper end of predictions.

If the bird fair is held again next year I hope that more birders will be
inspired to attend.

Keith Stockwell, Moama.