birding-aus

Pitt Town Harrier

To: "'Evan Beaver'" <>, "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Pitt Town Harrier
From: "Rex & Jan Fisher" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 08:29:23 +1100
Evan, if you have a copy take a look at the photo on the front of Wingspan,
Vol 15, No1, March 2005. It is an immature Spotted Harrier and has a blotchy
white band across the rump, and obvious facial disk. There is material on
raptor id by Steve Debus in that edition as well. In his book "The Birds of
Prey of Aus" Steve also describes Spotted as having a slight wedge shape to
the tail which can appear dished from behind compared with a more gently
rounded to square tip of the Swampy; and that is also evident in the photo
mentioned above. I am not sure if those features are always obvious though.

Greg Czechura, Qld Museum, a frequent co-author with Steve did run a great
one day course on raptor id which shows how you can use comparative features
such as different wing shapes; tail shapes; and tail length compared to wing
base width to confirm ids. I'm not sure if he still does the course or would
provide material but I have found that his methods have really worked for me
on numerous occasions.

Regards Rex Fisher