birding-aus

One swallow, and it was gone...

To: "Graham Etherington" <>
Subject: One swallow, and it was gone...
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:28:10 +1100
Well - those twitchers who saw it being killed by the Sparrowhawk can surely
tick it off their lists - a bird has only to be alive when you see it!

On 22/11/06, Graham Etherington <> wrote:

Just to clear up some misconceptions in this excellent (not) piece of
stereotypical journalism...
1. 'British' birders (as a whole) wouldn't 'flock' (how predictable) to
see
a Red-rumped Swallow as it's an annual visitor to the UK, often with up to
15 records a year. During my time in the UK, I've found 4 in total, whilst
out birding. Some of the Scottish listers might make the effort to see the
bird though.
2. There's no such species, sub-species, or form, as Scottish Sparrowhawk.
3. Birders (as we all know) don't use 'high-powered' binoculars. Just the
opposite really, with the majority of people favouring nothing above 12x
4. No 'large crowd' had gathered to watch the bird, as it was taken by the
Eurasian Sparrowhawk 20 minutes after it was first found.
5. "And, even if it is now deceased, the twitchers can still tick it off
their lists" - I don't think so!!!!!
Cheers,
Graham

--