birding-aus

Little Bittern at Bolwarra Wetlands Maitland NSW

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Little Bittern at Bolwarra Wetlands Maitland NSW
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 20:31:02 +1100
Hello all,

I spent a few hours looking around the Bolwarra Wetlands (north of Maitland, Hunter valley, NSW) this morning, especially for the Little Bittern reported by Jim Smart a week ago.

I didn't see the bittern (it looked good for it though) but I saw a few other things. 3 Freckled Ducks, 4 Baillon's Crakes, 3 Buff-banded Rails, 11 Latham's Snipe, 1 Red-kneed Dotterel among all the more regular birds. I spent a lot of time photographing Reed-warblers and Superb Fairy-wrens. Its a great wetland. A good mix of deeper and shallow water, exposed mud with a variety of vegetation types. I reckon I'll be back there again before too long to do more photography.

Also, stopped in at Lenaghan's Drive at midday to see if I could spot any Painted Snipe. No sign of them but I did see a Baillon's Crake, Latham's Snipe and nesting Purple Swamphens as well as Swamphens, Moorhens and Swans with dependent young.

Cheers

Michael Todd Wildlifing Images & Sounds of Nature
Latest Additions: Barking Owl, Splendid Fairy-wren, Mulga Parrot
www.wildlifing.com
Toronto, NSW, Australia O41O 123715

Jim Smart wrote:
This morning I flushed a Little Bittern at Bolwarra Wetlands, 3km north of Maitland NSW. The Bolwarra Wetlands are located behind the Bolwarra Sporting Centre in Bolwarra Road, Bolwarra. The bird was in Juncus sp. at the waters edge then flew into Cumbungi further out in deeper water. Other birds noted included Latham's Snipe, Red-kneed Dotterel, Black-fronted Dotterel, Black-winged Stilt, Grey Goshawk, Marsh Harrier plus the usual water birds.

Jim Smart
East Maitland