birding-aus

Dodgy Drongos Campaign...Pt 2

To: birding australia <>
Subject: Dodgy Drongos Campaign...Pt 2
From: Grant Brosie <>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 12:57:52 +1100 (EST)
Well after a very successful Saturday afternoon out
west we awoke in the gloom of a rainforest sunrise,
after getting less then a hours sleep.
The dawn chorus was in full swing as we walked up the
hill at Allyn River. Noisy Pitta, Bassian Thrush,
Cuckoo-dove and Superb Lyrebird were heard. Brown
Gerygone, Rose Robin and Rufous Fantail flittered
around the scrub. At the top of the hill in a huge fig
tree we had the delight of seeing around 4 Wompoo
Fruit-doves, 4 White-headed Pigeons and 2-3 Topknot
Pigeons feeding and chasing each other around.
>From there to Barrington Tops we added Yellow-throated
Scrubwren, Regent and Satin Bowerbird, Green Catbird,
Brush Turkey, and at the guest house, Large-billed
Scrubwren.
As we made our way towards Seaham we added some great
birds like Dollarbird, Torresian Crow, Shining and
Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo, Scarlet Honeyeater,
Scaly-breasted Lorikeet, Little Corella and Common
Koel.
Our 'bird on a string' Blue-faced Honeyeater was
calling in Seaham as we ticked up a few waterbirds for
the list.
At Green Wattle Creek we picked up some much needed
cuckoos, Pallid, Fan-tailed and Brush all heard
calling.
Common Blackbird and European Goldfinch were
highlights as we drove to Walka Water Works for
Great-crested and Hoary-headed Grebe, Musk Duck,
Little Grassbird and Mallard.
After a 50km detour for Yellow-tufted Honeyeater, we
ended up at Lenaghans Drive/Pambalong ticking the
following: White-necked Heron, Glossy Ibis,
Intermediate Egret, Whiskered Tern, Marsh Harrier,
Whistling Kite, White-bellied Sea-eagle, Latham's
Snipe and Tawny Grassbird.
Ash Island was it's usual wonderful self...(NOT). We
had to be satisfied with White-fronted Chat, Marsh
Sandpiper, Avocet, Mangrove Gerygone and Silver
Gull!!!
We thought Ash Island was dead until we got to
Stockton Sandspit.....I swear there was tumble weed
blowing across the shallows. Brown Honeyeater,
Gull-billed Tern and Eastern Curlew and thats it!
Grey-tailed Tattler and Terek Sandpiper were in their
usual spot, as was Whimbrel and our 200th species,
Pacific Golden Plover.
Newcastle Baths had none of the rock dwelling species
we needed but the Gannet, Wedge-tailed and
Flesh-footed Shearwaters made up for that.
A very quick trip to Awabakal revealed 6 species!
Eastern Spinebill and Variegated Fairy-wren
(finally!), New-hollands and White-cheeked
Honeyeaters, Brown Quail and Little Wattlebird.
Then it was the final stretch to the Hunter Wetlands
Centre. This part of the race is always slow and laid
back, the Magpie Geese are always there, and the
Red-kneed Dotterels and Wandering Whistling-duck were
obvious. Our last bird before the 4pm finish was Aust.
Hobby!
As we counted our tally we knew our decision to head
further west had paid off........214 species!!!

Would u believe we've already started planning next
years race.

>From a very happy Drongo,
Grant Brosie
Raworth