birding-aus

Woodswallows galore, and more

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Woodswallows galore, and more
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 20:26:05 +1030
Hi all
Over the last week or so I've made a few trips to Birds Australia Gluepot
Reserve ('Gluepot') and around Adelaide. There are many woodswallows about,
mainly large flocks of Masked at Gluepot, mixed with smaller numbers of
White-browed. Today we also found 1 Dusky and 1 Black-faced. On Tuesday at
Mt Barker I found a White-breasted. Other good species we saw in the
Adelaide area were 1 Australian Bittern, Spotted and Baillons Crake,
Slender-billed Thornbill, Blue-winged Parrot. At Gluepot, Red-lored
Whistlers have been hard to see of late, as they - and many other species,
including Black-eared Miners - bred early this year, after good rains in
July. Did the birds know a drought was coming? Today we finally saw a
Red-lored Whistler again after a few trips where we have had to be satisfied
with poor views or even only hearing them. Other good species seen included
Black-eared Miner (with immatures), Striated Grasswren, Gilbert's Whistler,
Southern Scrub-robin, Shy Heathwren,  White-browed Treecreeper. On Sunday at
Lake Merriti near Renmark there were at least 2 Freckled Ducks.
Still no rain - things are really starting to look desperate for the River
Murray now.
Cheers

Peter Waanders
Waikerie, South Australia
mob.: 0424 212889
SA Birding: http://www.sabirding.com
E-mail1:
E-mail2:

********* This email and any attachments may be confidential and legally
privileged.
Please notify the sender immediately if you received this message in error.
Please do not delete or alter this notice.