birding-aus

Australian Painted Snipe

Subject: Australian Painted Snipe
From: Dean Ingwersen <>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 11:09:41 +1100
Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to Ann Lindsey and Mike Newman for the original find of the birds at Lenaghans Swamp, and to Mick and Steve Roderick for the updates - great work. I can only reiterate what Mick and Steve have already said about being cautious when watching these birds. As most on the list will know, last year at Rutherglen (Vic) we had a breeding event, and a total of 8 birds were seen over about a month. Conditions at Lenaghans and surrounds sound perfect for another breeding event, and the trickle of birds (initially two seen, now up to three) suggests an influx of birds to the area is a distinct possibility. I am not for one second suggesting not to go and check the birds out - we want as many people as possible to see these amazing birds - but please be mindful of disturbance. As Bill Moorhead has stated, there is also currently a sub-adult female being treated in Bundaberg after being found in a carpark looking exhausted and with slight wing damage. Interestingly, this follows on from two weeks ago where a bird was found on Woolgoolga Beach in NSW and taken into care (only to die a few days later, sadly). So, there appears to be some movement of the birds at present - from where is anyones guess.

As a reminder, the Threatened Bird Network and the Australasian Wader Studies Group are jointly running an Australian Painted Snipe project. This project was initiated because of concern that the Painted Snipe was declining, and we have been up and running for 5 years or so. The species is listed as vulnerable under the Federal EPBC Act, and is also listed from rare to critically endangered across all mainland states and territories. It is a challenging species to work on as it is cryptic and rather nomadic. Neverthless, we organise surveys to look for Painted Snipe (one of which was last weekend - a huge thanks to all who participated), we maintain a database of all records that we can find of the species, and we generally bat for Painted Snipe conservation and act as a central point of contact for anybody working on the species in any way. It is now considered a full species, distinct from the Greater Painted Snipe of Asia and surrounds, and official acknowledgement of this should occur after DNA analysis of birds caught in Broome several years ago is finalised. If anyone has (or knows of) any historical records, even if they're 100 years old, we would love to know about them. And of course, any recent records like this get us very excited too!

For those who are interested I have copies of several recent papers on the taxonomy and habitat requirements of the species, and am happy to email these out. We also produce an occasional newsletter, Painted Snippets, with the latest edition circulated only a few months ago. Please contact me if you would like a copy of this too. And please keep a keen eye open at any wetlands which look suitable for Australian Painted Snipe!

Cheers, Dean

Threatened Bird Network Coordinator