birding-aus

Snapper Island

To: <>
Subject: Snapper Island
From: "Debbie Cooper" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 15:41:01 +1000
I have been asked for further info on Snapper Island and have copied what I've
written for the benefit of the group.....

Access to the island is very difficult if you don't have a boat. There are no
commercial operators going to the island.

It is even difficult if you do have a boat. The island is just off the coast at
the mouth of the Daintree River. The dominant wind in the area is SE making it
difficult to get out of the mouth of the river if the breeze is anything over
10-15 knots. (This is a calm day for most of our 'winter' months).

Once out of the mouth you will find yourself in the most mixed up water you
have ever been in. The south east chop builds up with the wind. On top of the
SE chop is the NE chop rebounding from Snapper Island. Then to make it
difficult is the westerly chop coming back off the land. The shape of the beach
builds a wave that goes back out to sea. I would not recommend this area to
anyone that does not have some sea experience.

Setting out from the Mossman River is only slightly more helpful as you have to
get out into the SE trade wind from there as well. You also have to get through
the rough water to get to the camp ground on the island. If you do make it
through the "Washing Machine" the birding is not too good. Being a mainland
island there is nothing there that you can't see in the forest along the coast.

It is possible to set off from Port Douglas and this takes out the SE trade
factor. If you go around the island on the eastern end you can sneak up on the
camp ground in the lee of the island.

The island is also a National Park so you must get a permit BEFORE you go.
Permits are available from the Queensland National Parks Mossman office or
their internet site.

All in all it is not a good site considering what is available on the mainland.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Peter