birding-aus

RFI Royal Spoonbill breeding at Macleod Morass (Bairnsdale, Vict.)

Subject: RFI Royal Spoonbill breeding at Macleod Morass (Bairnsdale, Vict.)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:19:39 +1000
A question for list members.

Have any birdos observed breeding of Royal Spoonbills at Macleod Morass at
Bairnsdale in East Gippsland?

I visited the northern end of the site last Saturday with some friends and
recorded a suite of terrestrial, wetland and aquatic birds.  Amongst the
more interesting observations were:
- up to a dozen Whistling Kites sitting on fence posts adjacent to the
wetland
- a pair of White-bellied Sea-Eagles on a nest box structure
- lots of Little Grassbirds and Cisticola's (both probably nesting)
- Whiskered Terns foraging over the wetland
- some massive European Carp caught in the 'carp trap'

Both species of Ibis (Australian White & Straw-necked) were breeding and
it also appeared that a handful of Royal Spoonbills may also be nesting
atop the Giant Rush (Juncus ingens) but we couldn't be sure.

Royal Spoonbills are restricted colonial breeding waterbirds in Victoria
so any nesting needs to be reported.

I'm keen to hear of people's experience for this site or a tip on local
birdos who know the site.

cheers, Martin

Martin O'Brien
Wildlife Biologist - Threatened Species & Communities Section
Department of Sustainability and Environment
2/8 Nicholson St.,
East Melbourne  3002
VICTORIA