birding-aus

Drought in central NSW

To: "Baus" <>
Subject: Drought in central NSW
From: "Graham Turner" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:13:20 +1000
Hello again, further to my postings re Parkes I have to say that it is
incredibly dry in western NSW at the moment. Spare a thought for the farmers
who have decided that the crops they planted in the winter are only good for
putting some condition onto livestock before sending them to the sale yards. No
harvest and destocking with prices a rock bottom (20 cents per beast was one
figure I heard quoted, but still cheaper than trying to keep them alive) means
tough times ahead.

Mick Todd reported things were grim further west when looking for grasswrens,
hopefully the forecast rain this week will do more than settle the dust.

Cheers
Graham Turner