birding-aus

Wyperfeld; white-browed treecreepers etc.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Wyperfeld; white-browed treecreepers etc.
From: "Simon Mustoe" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 20:05:45 +1000
Hi,

Nathan Waugh and I headed up to Wyperfeld Friday night, beginning the early
morning on the loop track with a search for malleefowl, which unfortunately
proved fruitless all day despite finding two partially active mounds.

Redthroats were in partial song the usual site on the Lake Brambruk Track. We
then headed up to the north entrance of the park near Patchwollock, to the
Thomas and Thomas site for white-browed treecreeper. We didn't have high hopes,
having heard little about this site from anyone else. It however proved very
successful. Despite being quite windy, we managed to find three birds. The
entrance begins at a gate and the track which runs east has a large area of
Buloke woodland on its southern side. About 300m east, the road begins to
undulate and there are a couple of rises. The woodland is slightly more dense
in the dips between these. We found brown treecreepers on the tops and walked
along the valleys until eventually we had great views of white-browed
treecreepers. This site is far more convenient for those wanting to find this
species easily from Melbourne, as opposed to travelling much further north to
Yarrara. There was a good selection of other species including two male hooded
robins, mulga parrots and major mitchells cockatoo.

On the way back south, we stopped at a couple of dams to look for dragonflies
and flushed a banded lapwing.

We started Sunday morning at Koorooya State Park west of Bendigo. In the lower
car park there was a heavily flowering broad-leaved peppermint with several
purple-gaped honeyeaters and a singing  pallid cuckoo. On the drive to
Whipstick, we had great views of spotted harrier.

Regards,

Simon Mustoe.

TRIP LIST
Australian Shelduck