birding-aus

Gloucester NSW and Seale Rd swamp

To: "" <>
Subject: Gloucester NSW and Seale Rd swamp
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:54:18 +1000
Dar all

Arrived home Wednesday evening to find the town raucous with Noisy Friarbirds; the Scarlet Honeyeaters have deserted my back gardenb ut Olive-backed Orioles and Figbirds are feasting on the mulberries. The young bowerbirds have eaten most of my lettuce and I still haven't heard a Koel although the Channel-bills are calling early morning.

On the way home from Grafton, stopped in at Seal Road Swamp, east of Kempsey, to check out the birds. Huge numbers of Chestnut Teal, Black Duck and Straw-necked Ibis, and lesser numbers of Black Swan, White Ibis, Magpie Larks, Grey Teal (difficult to separate with the sun straight at one), Hardhead, Masked Lapwings and Cattle Egrets. Thought I heard Pink-eaed Ducksr but didn't see any. No N.Shoveler in sight! But a pair of Swamp Harrier and pair of Whistling Kites very active, and a Hobby eating a grasshopper? in flight before settling in a nearby tree, crouching against the wind. No sight or sound of waders although with the breeze and sun light and grass/reeds, couldn't swear to it.