birding-aus

Spring in Violet Town Vic

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Spring in Violet Town Vic
From: "Barry McLean" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 22:15:33 +1000
Hi All,

Bits and pieces in no particular order.

Nice to see our first Rainbow Bee-eaters for this season yesterday - three birds travelling westerly as usual; they always.

Also yesterday the Collared Sparrowhawk was sitting on the nest they have used every year since we moved here in Feb 2002.

The second Western Gerygone nest was abandoned unfinished - the first was completed and birds were in residence (on eggs?) but then was found on the ground - perhaps a Currawong or perhaps wind. Two days later they had started the replacement but I have not found another yet. Last year they (I assume without real reason that it is the same pair) built 3 times, I don't know if the third attempt was successful but they were feeding young and the used nest was in the tree.

The garden is ringing with the sound of the two fledgling Grey Shrike-Thrushes which left the nest (in the saucepan in the shed again) on Tuesday.

Multiple pairs of Weebills, Magpies, Superb Fairy-wrens, Striated and Spotted Pardalotes have all had breeding success.

A pair of Wood Ducks hatched 12 ducklings and have only one left after three weeks. I suspect that most may be taken by raptors but have not seen it happen - I did see a pair of foxes rounding up a group in 2004

At present we are watching several Red-browed Finch nests but have not seen any signs of occupation - they do seem to do a lot of practice nests each year. I am regularly checking a Peaceful Dove on eggs in a nest and I think that we might have a nesting pair of Crested Pigeons but can't find it!

Well it is now late evening and we saw about 10 Bee-eaters hawking at the top dam about 6pm for a few minutes before they departed - southwards!

More exciting, also at the dam was a mixed flock of White-browed(3) and Masked(2) Woodswallows. They have not been sighted since 2002 when a bigger mixed flock visited. Which reminds me that we had a Shining Bronze-Cuckoo here on 23 Sept - also the first time since 2002. 2002 was also a very dry year and (without checking) there were about ten other species that have only been seen here in 2002.

Regards

Barry