birding-aus

Large numbers of Swift Parrots in Sandy Bay, Tasmania

To: <>
Subject: Large numbers of Swift Parrots in Sandy Bay, Tasmania
From: "Daniel Gilmore" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:16:00 +1000
Hi All.

While in Tasmania on 10 October I thought I'd have a look for some Swift
Parrots. I got lucky!  To my amazement I came across a flock of around 250-300
Swift Parrots in Sandown Park, Sandy Bay.  Flocks of Swift Parrots this size
are a rare sight nowadays.  Surprisingly, the birds were feeding on the ground
on the fallen seeds of English Elm Ulmus procera, growing along Long Point
Road.  I have not heard of them feeding on the seeds of this species before and
Swift Parrots rarely feed from the ground.  Small numbers were also feeding on
Blue Gum Eucalyptus globulus flowers, which were in flower.

I recommend anyone living in Hobart or visiting the City in the next few day to
check them out.

Regards,

Daniel Gilmore