birding-aus

FNQ trip

To: Alistair McKeough <>,
Subject: FNQ trip
From: Fairy Wren <>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 19:53:07 +1000 (EST)
I can vouch for the Red Mill Lodge: terrific birding right on one's doorstep,
great company and really fantastic breakfasts, too :). Trish & Andrew are real
stars.

  Anyone going to Mareeba Wetlands: be aware that it's closed all day on
Mondays & Tuesdays. Had to miss it this time due to the vagaries of our
schedule, and I was very disappointed. However, it provides an excellent (but,
of course, unnecessary!) excuse to go back again.

  I can also recommend Lake Mitchell: personal highlights were the Comb-crested
Jacanas (as in "what's that there bird with the funny red thing on its head?"),
and green pygmy geese, dazzlingly green in flight & very beautiful. Both lifers.

  Still haven't had time to write up my lengthy bird lists!

  Happy Birding, all - especially those fortunate enough to visit FNQ! :)

  Anneliese.

  Melbourne
  VIC

Alistair McKeough <> wrote:
  I've just unpacked after 5 days in FNQ and dumped the photos.

153 species, of which 92 were lifers, plus some unidentified waders from
Cairns Esplanade.

I'll post a report some time later in the week, as tomorrow I'm on a plane
for a day trip to Werribee. In the meantime, however, I'd like to publicly
express my thanks and gratitude to Lindsay and Keith Fisher, Trish and
Andrew Forsyth, and Chris Dahlberg, who were all instrumental in making my
trip North as good as it was and who all helped me find the birds I was
looking for.

Anyone heading up North would be mad not to stay at Kingfisher Park in
Julatten, Red Mill House in the Daintree and do as many morning trips on the
Daintree River with Chris Dahlberg as they have mornings in the Daintree.

Alistair