birding-aus

Farquar Inlet / Coopernook birds

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Farquar Inlet / Coopernook birds
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 18:08:10 +1000 (EST)
Hi all,

  On Saturday 7th Oct, myself and brother Steve made a lightning trip up to the
Manning region for a look at the wader situation at Old Bar. As it was low-tide
the birds were quite spread out, though we located plenty of birds. The most
numerous waders were Pac Goldel Plovers and Red-necked Stints, of which there
were easily 50+ of each. Many of the Plovers had some great colouring left.
Also with the Stints were a few Sharpies and 14 Sanderling. One of the Stints
also had an orange flag on the upper tarsus of the right leg.

  Also heard was a Beach Stone-curlew that was sounding off when both a Sea
Eagle and an Osprey flew overhead. We didn't locate the exact whereabouts of
the calling bird.

  Following a tip from Allan Richardson, we had a look at the Square-tailed
Kite nest in Coopernook State Forest and saw one of the birds sitting pretty
tight on the nest. The bird then started calling and before long a second bird
negotiated it's way through the canopy and to the nest site. We were on the
wrong side of the tree to see what happened next, but one of the birds soon
left. We suspected that the male may have taken over duties while the female
went off to feed.

  Mick