birding-aus

Black Mt Road Kuranda Oct 7 06

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Black Mt Road Kuranda Oct 7 06
From: Sue & Phil Gregory <>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 21:23:22 +1000
Sat Oct 7 Black Mountain Road around Cassowary House, Kuranda 0630 -0800 and 0930-1200.

Southern Cassowary 1 f. Male still away on nest, expected back this month.
Red-necked Crake 1
Topknot Pigeon 5
Double-eyed Fig-Parrot 6, many figs now ripe.
Superb Fruit-Dove 2
Wompoo Pigeon 2
Chestnut-breasted Cuckoo 1, my most southerly so far!
Gould's Bronze-Cuckoo 1
Shining Bronze-Cuckoo 1
Australian Swiftlet 1
Barred Cuckoo-shrike 6
Yellow-breasted Boatbill 2
Black-faced Monarch 1 first of the spring here
Satin Flycatcher 1 male, unusual here but October is when we do see them
Large-billed Scrubwren 4
Yellow-spotted Honeyeater 6
Graceful Honeyeater 2
Macleay's Honeyeater 10
Little Shrike-thrush 2
Pied Monarch h
White-eared Monarch h
Pale-yellow Robin 2
Grey Whistler 2
Victoria's Riflebird 3 m 2 f , one displaying.
Spotted Catbird 2
Black Butcherbird 1

A productive morning with some scarce migrants about, the C-b Cuckoo was good as the slightly deeper trilled call than Fan-t got me on to it. Looking at the various field guides it looks as if they illustrate several distinct species, the differences are amazing. HANZAB says the grey upperparts are the same colour as Fan-tailed, but i must admit I always think they ( C-b) look a darker more slaty grey, besides being notably smaller and a sort of baked bean colour underneath. This bird today had a markedly paler belly which was unusual, maybe a f or imm plumage?

A Long-toed Stint was reported from Cairns Esplanade on Oct 6, it would be very unusual there.

Phil Gregory
www. cassowary-house.com.au