birding-aus

Waders around Redlands and Logan, QLD

To: BIRDING-AUS <>
Subject: Waders around Redlands and Logan, QLD
From: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 17:35:55 +1000
Hi all,

Did a bit of wader watching today around the south of Brisbane, as I was in
the area anyway.  A quick summary of the best birds is in order:

5 Terek Sandpipers on the rocks at Queens Esplanade right at the far end
1 Whiskered Tern at a swampy field between the Logan Golf Course and the
Waterski Park
5+ Sharpies and a Latham's Snipe at the same
60+ Red-necked Avocets at Eagleby, at a big shallow lake along the Albert
River (not the Eagleby Wetlands but north of there on private land - visible
from the road).
5 Marsh Sandpipers, 5 Sharpies, a few unidentified godwits (distance
defeated me) and about 50 Black-winged Stilt at the same.
1 Restless Flycatcher at Eagleby Wetlands.

I don't think I've ever seen a flock of Red-necked Avocets as big before -
certainly not in South-east Queensland.  There was at least one juvenile
bird in the flock.

Regards,
Chris
Brisbane, QLD