birding-aus

4 Grasswrens in 46 hours

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: 4 Grasswrens in 46 hours
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 14:57:06 +0930
Hi all
Myself and Justin Jansen from the Netherlands and his girlfriend returned
yesterday evening from a whirlwind trip from Waikerie (SA) via the Flinders
Ranges, Mt Lyndhurst, Merty Merty, Cameron Corner, Tibooburra, Broken Hill
back to Waikerie. A total of over 2300 km in 3 days. We found all target
species easily with the highlight being 4 species of grasswren within 46
hours! It started with Short-tailed Grasswren on Sat 30/9 at 10:10 after
less than 10 mins of arriving at Stokes Hill in the Flinders Ranges,
excellent views of one perched on a rock; we then moved on to Lyndhurst
where we spent the night and the next morning searched Mt Lyndhurst station
where we found 2 Thick-billed Grasswrens within 15 mins of arriving; we then
moved on to Montecollina Bore, 220 kms up the Strzelecki track, where Justin
searched for about 1/2 in 35C heat to find 2 Eyrean Grasswrens around noon.
Later that afternoon I had to hit the brakes to avoid driving over one
crossing the road on one of the red sand dunes at Merty Merty, we then had
excellent views of the bird from the car. We moved on to Tibooburra and
spent the night there; Monday morning 2/10 we set off early to Adelaide Gate
and found 2 Grey Grasswrens perched atop the lignum in some slightly
healthier lignum shrubs within a massive field of  lignum ~ 15 km S of
Adelaide Gate. It was 8:10am, 46 hours after we'd seen the Short-tailed
Grasswren.
Other good species seen were:
Yellow-footed  Rock-wallaby (3) in Brachina Gorge, Flinders Range's
Chestnut-breasted Whiteface - 2 groups on Mt Lyndhurst Station, the 1st
group of ~8 near the Two Gates Site, the other one of 2 or 3 opposite the
old mine entrance
Rufous Fieldwren - quite a few at Mt Lyndhurst
Cinnamon Quail-thrush - 1 female opposite the old mine entrance at Mt
Lyndhurst
Chirruping Wedgebill - in many spots
Inland Dotterel - group of 22 between Cameron Cnr and Tibooburra
Aus Pratincoles - various small groups or individuals between Cameron Corner
and Tibooburra, and east of there
Bourke's Parrot - 2 between Cameron Cnr and Tibooburra, 2 at the waterhole
in Tibooburra, and 2 between Tibooburra and Adelaide Gate
Orange Chat - ~ 20 on the way to Adelaide Gate
Crimson Chat - ~ 10 at the waterhole in Tibooburra
Red-backed Kingfisher - 2 at the waterhole in Tibooburra
Gibberbird - 4 ~ 165 km past Lyndhurst & 1 on the way to Adelaide Gate
Pied Honeyeater - South Creek (past Mt Lyndhurst)

All in all, quite a successful trip!

Cheers

Peter Waanders
Waikerie, South Australia
mob.: 0424 212889
SA Birding: http://www.sabirding.com
E-mail1:
E-mail2:

********* This email and any attachments may be confidential and legally
privileged.
Please notify the sender immediately if you received this message in error.
Please do not delete or alter this notice.