birding-aus

Any tips on Lamington National Park?

To: "Tom Tarrant" <>
Subject: Any tips on Lamington National Park?
From: "Graham Etherington" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 09:58:49 +1000
Morgan,
I was up at Lamington a few weeks back. As Tom suggests, the entrance to
O'Reilly's Guest-house would be good, but I found it not to be as dependable
as it was a couple of years back.
In August I found by far the best way to good views (i.e. eating out of your
hand) of Regent Bowerbirds is to get at the feeding area at dawn (the
feeding area is to the right of the road, between the carpark and
O'Reillys), take some sultanas and hold your hand out! Dawn is essential as
the Regent and Satin Bowerbirds get frightened off by the parrots later in
the morning and very rarely come to the feeding post (although the Satin
Bowerbirds can be seen around the campsite all day) for the rest of the day.
In fact I found that the Regent Bowerbirds cleared off from the feeding area
after less than an hour after sunrise (and were also absent from the
entrance to O'Reillys), so get there early. Oh and take a camera - standard
lens, no zoom - you won't need it :-)
Good luck,
Graham