birding-aus

Table Top Mountain (Albury NSW) - 30/9 to 2/10

Subject: Table Top Mountain (Albury NSW) - 30/9 to 2/10
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:20:47 +1000
I have just come back from a great couple of days birding at Table Top
Mountain (Kalawa) near Albury (NSW). Their accommodation is perched on the
edge of the Yambla Range and they have a bird list of 140 species. My list
for over 3 days was 80 species. The vegetation consists of box,
stringybark, dwyer's red gum and acacia scrub. An enormous amount of
eucalypts were in flower attracting some 7 species of honeyeater but no
lorikeets.

Highlights were a single Turquoise Parrot on the first day, a
Black-chinned Honeyeater which decided to spend 2 whole days 'hanging out'
in the big eucalypt outside our cottage and the pair of Chestnut-rumped
Thornbills foraging in flowering shrubs on the summit of Table Top
(>600m). This must surely be on the limit of their range. A pair of
Peregrine Falcons were also nesting on the sheer cliffs. The walk to the
summit takes about 2 hours.

Walking along the Bird Walk at Table Top to a dam I found some 40
White-browed Woodswallows and 20 Masked Woodswallows and a single Dusky
Woodswallow. Also here White-browed Babbler (2 groups of 4 birds), Little
Friarbird (2), Buff-rumped Thornbill (2), many Peaceful Doves and Common
Bronzewings and a pair of Gang-gang Cockatoos. At night we heard Southern
Boobook and an Australian Owlet-Nightjar. We were told a tree outside the
cottage also housed a large Goanna although we didnt see it. We did have a
White-throated Treecreeper which every evening would settle down for the
night by our front door clinging to the wooden cottage wall just under the
verandah roof. A new species for the property was Australasian Shoveler
(6).

A quick visit to the Wonga Wetlands outside Albury on the Murray produced
several White-breasted Woodswallows on 1/10. I highly recommend these
wetlands. I last visited some 4 years ago.

Cheers

Marnix Zwankhuizen
Gungahlin ACT

IMPORTANT:
This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain
confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify us immediately by telephone on (02) 6271 4777 and delete all copies of
this transmission together with any attachments.