birding-aus

Undergrad Seeking Help on Study Abroad & Shorebirds

Subject: Undergrad Seeking Help on Study Abroad & Shorebirds
From: "Tyler Hicks" <>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 11:52:00 -0500
AussieBirders,

Hello, my name is Tyler Hicks. Currently I am an undergraduate student at Western State College in Gunnison, Colorado USA. Two years ago I spent several months in South Korea and was lucky enough to enjoy Saemangeum estuary and its shorebirds before its reclamation and tragic demise. Within the next year to year-and-a-half I plan on studying abroad in either Australia or New Zealand. I am currently looking for universities in that region that are involved in research looking at shorebirds in the Australasian flyway and/or shorebird conservation in the flyway. Ideally I would like to be involved in the research. I have seven years experience in ornithological field work including banding, surveying, genetic work and vast array of other experience. I have been a passionate birder since age 10 and have been birding for over 14 years. If anyone knows of a university they would recommend I would greatly appreciate your advice. I already know that studying abroad in Aus/NZ will be the highlight of my undergraduate academic career. I know the hardest part is going to be coming back to the states or maybe I won't! Thank you for your advice and help ahead of time.

Cheers,

Tyler Hicks
Gunnison, CO USA