birding-aus

Spring Migrants

Subject: Spring Migrants
From: Lynn <>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 11:43:24 +1000
Further to this report from a couple of days ago. I saw my second new bird for the property later that same day , a Rose Robin , bringing the home total to 129. A quick trip to Rutherford( near Maitland NSW ), yesterday 1/10/06 added a Rufous Songlark and two Rainbow Bee-eaters to the recently arrived migrant list.

Back home yesterday, I did a quick walk across the road into the neighbours place and added Regent Bowerbird and Wompoo Pigeon to my list for "our area ", not on my home list yet. Also calling were White-throated Gerygones and Golden Whistlers. A Black-faced Monarch was seen and I flushed 2 Brown Quail on the way back.

A morning walk up my hill this morning revealed all the "Wrens" of the previous week , plus White-browed Scrubwren. A Rufous Whistler was seen as well as Brown and Striated Thornbills. A few raptors also around : Australian Hobby, Brown Falcon , Brown Goshawk , Wedge-tailed Eagle , Nankeen Kestrel and Black-shouldered Kite. A group of six Grey Kangaroos and also 2 Euro's , subspecies robustus, one of which was a very attractive black male.

Cheers

Dick Jenkin

DUNGOG NSW

Lynn wrote:

Hi all

A lovely spring morning in Dungog this morning and a new bird for the property list , Pallid Cuckoo, being harassed by a Willie Wagtail in the garden. Only my second record for the Hunter Valley area. Two Dollar Birds flew over ( so I suppose that is a dollar each way ! ) also Chanel- billed Cuckoo and Sacred Kingfisher around.

The day started when I opened my eyes and a male King Parrot was eyeballing me from his feeding position in an Orange Marmalade Grevillea pressed up against the bedroom window.

The garden is alive with Noisy Friarbirds, Eastern Spinebills, Red Wattlebirds, Lewins and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters. The normally aggressive Noisy Miners are outnumbered and unusually quiet.

Bar-shouldered and Peaceful Doves calling as well as White-headed Pigeons. Pheasant Coucals on the hill and Stubble Quail calling on dusk the previous evening.
Crimson Rosellas and Satin Bowerbirds adding some nice colour as well.

Last weekend in a gully in one of our back paddocks where we usually have three species of Fairy Wrens ( Superb, Variegated and Red-backed ) there was also a pair of Southern EmuWren , great to see them all together.

Gotta love Spring

Cheers

Dick Jenkin
DUNGOG NSW

-------------------------------Safe Stamp----------------------------------- Your Anti-virus Service scanned this email. It is safe from known viruses. For more information regarding this service, please contact your service provider.