birding-aus

albatrosses

Subject: albatrosses
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:53:36 +1000
Lorne, the following web sites offer some good material esp quotes to use
and pics on albatrosses.

Agreement on the Conservation of Albatrosses and Petrels -
http://www.environment.gov.au/bg/wildlife/conventions/albatross/index.html

Albatrosses By-catch bibliography -
http://www.pond.net/~fish1ifr/alb-bib1.htm

Information on Wandering Albatross -
http://www2.ozland.net.au/users/msc/ant/WANDERING_ALBATROSS.html

Recovery Plan for Albatrosses and Giant-Petrels -
http://www.ea.gov.au/biodiversity/threatened/recovery/albatross/index.html

Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association -
http://www.sossa-international.org/Pages/Pelagic%20Reports/May2006.htm

cheers, Martin

Martin O'Brien
Wildlife Biologist - Threatened Species & Communities Section
Department of Sustainability and Environment
2/8 Nicholson St. (PO Box 500),
East Melbourne  3002
VICTORIA

Tel: 9637 9869

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello bird lovers... Lorne here...

On Wednesday afternoon, at the school where I teach, St. Aloysius College,
Sydney, I'm presenting a forty minute lecture on albatross to 140 14 yr
old boys as an intro to our topic of The Sea and The Rhyme of the Ancient
Mariner.

I've pretty much got all I want to say in my head, but would love some
suggestions re. info that the boys should know or stuff that would keep
them enthralled during my chat as most would be prefering to play their X
Box or looking at Zoo magazine or shooting sparrows with air rifles
methinks!!!

Can anyone give me up to date stats on numbers of albatross in the
world... general conservation info...any websites I can suggest the boys
look at etc.????

This is an important opportunity to spread info on these majestic species
so the boys can think about conservation in the future, so any help would
be deeply appreciated.

Ta,

Lorne Johnson