birding-aus

Fw: RE: [Birding-Aus] Arrival dates of White-breasted Woodswllows in NSW

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Fw: RE: [Birding-Aus] Arrival dates of White-breasted Woodswllows in NSW
From: "Terry Bishop" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:46:59 +1000 (AUS Eastern Standard Time)

From: Terry Bishop
Date: 20/09/2006 8:41:23 PM
Subject: Arrival dates of White-breasted Woodswllows in
NSW

Steve,
Do you remember if they fluctuated when you lived at the back of Machin
Park? Did you keep any stats then? My son lives in Nile between Summer St E.

And Byng St. He has a lot of Galahs and SC Cockatoos during Summer but
Hardly any during Winter. He also has a few Crimson Rosellas come in early
In the morning and at sunset. They also disappear during the colder months.
On Canobolas, when the winds are blowing, I have found all the birds that
Stay behind spend a lot of their time in the the holes and small caves in
The embankments with a Northerly aspect. Particularly on the Cargo road side

Down to and including the pine forest.With S. Winds regularly gusting to 50
To 60 knots and windchills to -20C on the top it would be hard to stay on a
Branches. (Readings taken at bottom of transmission towers) Even with heavy
Snow of 30 years ago which would last two weeks to a month on top third of
The mount blowing in from the S or SW you get very little drift on the North

Side of the embankments. The foxes and wild pigs are not seen on the higher
Slopes during the freezing weather so they are safe in their little holes
The same thing with a smaller population on Pinnacle.

Terry Bishop
Orange NSW