birding-aus

Windcrofting

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Windcrofting
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 18:46:14 +1000
On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 05:21:16PM +0930, Trevor Hampel wrote:
> An interesting variation on this theme is the concept of "windcrofting".
> If every farm in the UK "planted" just one
> small wind turbine generating electricity,
> they could supply 50% of the power needs of the UK.
> This is according to an article on this site:
> http://ecostreet.com/blog/?p=286

UK generating capacity is ~80GW.  The connected site mentions 15kW
turbines.  If you assume a capacity factor of 0.25, which might be
generous as many areas won't be well suited for wind power, that works
out at 10 million turbines by my calculation.  With 50% generation from
wind, maintaining supply is going to be a challenge when a large parts
of the country are becalmed.

[ Saw my first Channel-billed Cuckoo of the season flying over Callan
Park (inner Sydney) yesterday  pursued by ravens.  U12 cricket training
Also had pleasant tinkling of Eastern Rosellas - scarce near the CBD -
as accompaniment. ]

Andrew