birding-aus

Ospreys at Narrabeen

To: <>
Subject: Ospreys at Narrabeen
From: "alan morris" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 07:54:22 +1000
Hi Birders,

I refer to Lorne's concerns about letting people know the exact location of this nest.

In the first place Ospreys are very public birds, their nests are always in the public eye, on marker buoys, on power poles, on special nesting poles constructed for them, on railway bridges etc. They are protected by the fact that people know where the nest is and therefopre there van be no harm in letting other birdwatchers know their location. So no Lorne, it is not a problem.

But secondly, there is the issue of letting people know. Many government agencies are so protective of their information, in the name of protecting a certain species, that the public are never allowed to know, even if the species is no longer nesting! I can tell you about a certain government agency that would not let me have information for the NSW Annual Bird Report, about what species of Ibis nested on one of their properties, and how many were in the colony, two years after the event! This enables them to deny that the birds ever nested there if in the event at some later stage some organisation was pushing for the site to be proptected in some way.

It is for that reason that within reason I am happy to let everyone know what nests or occurs where, to stop the cover up that goes on about threatened species. Let public opinion protect the birds.

Alan Morris