birding-aus

NSW & ACT Twitchathon 2006

To: <>
Subject: NSW & ACT Twitchathon 2006
From: "alan morris" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:15:21 +1000
yes its on again!

NSW and ACT Twitchathon 2006

Proceeds to go to the Australian Bird Study Associations Research Fund

This year the Australian Bird Study Associations Research Fund will be the
recipient of our fund raising conservation efforts. The Research Fund
provides grants to students at Australian Universities who are carrying out
research on Australian birds. Our aim is to increase the value of the
investment fund so that more funds can be granted for research. In recent
years the Research Fund has been able to provide small grants to two
students per year to assist in their field work and research.

In 2006 the Australian Bird Study Association awarded grants to Grant Palmer
and Dean Portelli. Grant has a long term study underway investigating the
response of bird communities to alternative land uses in the rural living
zone surrounding the large regional centre of Ballarat (Vic). Dean’s
research is part of his PhD studies at New South Wales University into the
social organisation and breeding biology of Hall’s Babbler. By increasing
the amount of the Investment fund more money will be made available to
students like Grant and Dean for important research into the biology and
conservation of Australian birds.

This Twitchathon Project aims to increase the Investment Fund from the
current $25,000 to $40,000 or more!

How to join the Twitchathon 28-29 October 2006

1.        Contact Alan Morris for your 2006 Twitchathon Kit

2.        Form a team with one or even a dozen friends and family and go
birdwatching over this October weekend. You can travel anywhere in NSW
and/or the ACT. See how many species of birds your team can find from 3 pm
Saturday 28 October to 4 pm Sunday 29 October 2006. Note the new starting
and finishing time as trialled in 2004.

3.        Get sponsors. In the weeks before this event, persuade family and
friends to sponsor you so many cents or even dollars for each species your
team sees. You just need either lots of little sponsorships or a few big
ones!

There are prizes for the most species seen by three winning teams as well as
prizes for the most money raised, the rarest bird seen by an individual, and
prizes for children. The prizes include Trophies, a weekend in a motel at
Leeton with a personal guided tour of the Ramsar Internationally famous
Fivebough Swamp Wetlands (sponsored by the Fivebough & Tuckerbil Wetland
Trust), 2 nights for two at Bombah Point Eco Lodge, a pair of Steiner
Skyhawk 8x42 binoculars (sponsored by ABSA & Mainstay Opticals Pty Ltd),
books, book vouchers, champagne, wine, special “T” shirts and other prizes
to go to the winners in the various categories of the Twitchathon. Contact
Alan for a full list.

So don’t think that you have to be an A class birdwatcher to take part.
Whichever method you chose for your Twitchathon – the laid back (ie the
Champagne Race), the deadly serious, or the donor only version, remember it
is all about educating others into the importance of nature conservation,
particularly the conservation of Australian birds.

Last year we raised $14000, and the two years before &10,500 & $13548
respectively! In the past five years we have raised over $60,000. This is a
great achievement and we have been able to make a significant difference for
the birds in the Capertee Valley, the Murray Valley, the Cowra District,
Newhaven Station (NT) & the Education Unit at Gluepot Reserve. I know that
you will join me in making a fantastic contribution one way or another. So,
do ask me for your Twitchathon Kit TODAY or sponsor a Twitchathon team in
your bird club or group! I can put you in touch with a team if you do not
know of one in your area!

Alan Morris

Twitchathon Co-ordinator

(For Birds Australia, Southern NSW & ACT)

c/- 3 Murray St Bateau Bay NSW 2261

Telephone: 02 43 342776

Fax: 02 9436 0466