birding-aus

Antarctic Terns

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Antarctic Terns
From: "Chris Baxter" <>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 08:05:44 +0930
Hi All

Chris Baxter here. Have not been on this forum for six years or so-last chatted
to you all after witnessing Banded Stilts breeding on Ibis Island back in the
year 2000. I waent down to Cape duCouedic/Admirals Arch again yesterday. I was
on an eco tour and so locked in to a time schedule and not a lot of time
available to check out terns. Arrived about 1500 hrs and departed 30 mins
later. Several 100 crested Terns roosting with 8 White-fronted at Admirals Arch
site but unfortunately no Antarctic Terns there. It was blowing a gale at the
time (southerly buster) but bravely pointed scope across 500 m of water to look
at terns on Inner Casuarina Islet. Many Crested and White-fronteds out there
and after a few minutes was lucky enough to find 2x non breeding Antarctic
Terns roosting in similar location to where they were when John and Colin and I
observed them on Saturday 2 September.

Also hard to find were Twitchers-not a one to be seen!! I guess that will all
change this weekend. In closing i would just like to wish all the very best of
luck to all of those birders coming over to see the birds and feel free to
contact me.  I have taken some shots of the Antarctic Terns also and even
though they are pretty dodgy i have indulged myself by attaching an almost full
breeding plumaged adult and a non breeding bird with Crested Tern. These shots
were taken on day of discovery on 1 September 2006.

Cheers

Chris Baxter