birding-aus

Window Collisions

To: <>
Subject: Window Collisions
From: "Chris" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 12:38:41 +1000
Our database of animals over the last twenty years indicates that
collisions are implicated in a high volume of bird injuries or deaths.
These are probably higher than cat injuries though it is difficult to be
definitive because birds presenting as concussed in urban areas may have
multiple causes. The injuries resulting from such collisions vary
depending on the speed and angle of impact and species physiology.
Collisions have been identified in Northern Europe as having a
significant impact on some seasonal migrants. Anecdotally we have had
some interesting ones through our branches. Earlier this year a Regent
Honeyeater hit glass in Coffs Harbour (released after treatment for
concussion) and various parrots.

Should a bird hit a window and be found concussed it should be placed in
a container and kept warm, dark and quiet with access (but not the
ability to drown) to water or preferably an isotonic fluid. Often they
will pull out in a short period of time and can be released. If this is
not the case then a wildlife rehab group or vet should be consulted. In
some work with our veterinary colleagues we have found that some of
these injuries can last weeks but still result in a releasable recovery.

Chris Lloyd

Training Officer

WIRES

PO Box 260