birding-aus

Re: Yarragadee Aquifer: South-west WA

To: <>
Subject: Re: Yarragadee Aquifer: South-west WA
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 15:29:29 +1000
Many thanks to those of you who have signed the Yarragadee Aquifer petition that I sent to Birding-aus yesterday.

If you haven't yet signed the petition, please consider doing so over the next few days. I really do think it is a major ecological issue that is of the same importance as the Franklin River Dam, Daintree Rainforest and Fraser Island environmental issues of the 1980s. You can read the background papers and sign the petition on the following links:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Yaragade/petition.html
www.yarragadee.org

The same mentality already seems to have spread to the NSW. I was alarmed to read on the front page of this morning's Sydney Morning Herald (continued on p. 11) that the NSW Govt will be considering a proposal to extract water from the Botany Aquifer (near Sydney Airport). I wonder what long-term impact that would have on the water levels and water quality of the Botany wetlands, which are important for migratory waders and other waterbirds.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW