birding-aus

RFI Mt Isa, Bowra Birdsville etc

Subject: RFI Mt Isa, Bowra Birdsville etc
From: <>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:38:54 +1000
Hi all,

We four (the usual ones) are heading north in my trusty Forester, with a small
trailer in tow, in search of Grasswrens and heards of other desirable birds
such as Letterwings, Grey Falcons and of course the occassional Night Parrot.

I have gone through the archive and down loaded all the old grasswren details
as well as Emu-wren gibberbird, yellow chat, gouldian finch and many more. I
have also researched all past Night Parrot sightings for the area. I am a very
optimistic person, but one or two in the car have looked askance at my wish
list. But they are very nice and havn't yet had me certified.

What I would love to know is what do people think of the general condition of
the roads. For example, what is the road like between Boulia and Birdsville?
What are the roads like across from Birdsville to Innaminka? What about the
road that goes down through Cordillo Downs?

Three of us have experience on outback roads so driving is OK and I know that
the condition varies day by day and according to the weather so, just a general
feel would be good, you know, something between, You'll be fine and Oh my G**
what are you thinking about, would be fine.

Oh, and it seems from what I have heard that others on the list maybe up that
way in September. We are planning on Bowra for the 4,5 and 6 of September, Mt
Isa about 9 until we find the Grasswrens and then Birdsville some time after
that. We will be back in Melbourne around the end of the month.

Thanks in advance

Jen