birding-aus

New Bins

Subject: New Bins
From: Andrew Hobbs <>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:02:38 +0800
colin judkins wrote:
Hi all,
I have just had my bins stolen from my car. Does anyone have any opinions on the Canon Image Stabilised binoculars. They write up as being ideal for birding from boats etc. "If i can stop throwing up long enough to look through them". Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Would like to spend no more than , say $1000.00.
Thanks in anticipation,  Col

I have used a pair of IS binoculars though they were bought quite a few years ago when they were first released. They were bought as a pair of general purpose boating binos, for which they were brilliant. As for birding I found them rather more specialized. Great for looking at waders and birds in situations where the birds don't move too much. In fact you could see detail that others using the best binos couldn't (simply because the image was perfectly still). However I didn't think much of them as general purpose birding binoculars. They were significantly heavier, and became quite uncomfortable after an hour or so round the neck. They had a signficantly narrower field of view which made finding birds moving around, surprisingly difficult to find and keep in view.

And as for birding from boats they were a mixed blessing. In rough seas they were at least useable where normal binos are hopeless. In smooth seas they were OK, but since many sea birds are soaring over the waves one has the same problem of trying to find the birds and keep track of them.

Cheers

Andrew

Colin Judkins