birding-aus

Grass Owl at WTP Melbourne

Subject: Grass Owl at WTP Melbourne
From: Frank Pierce / Janet Mattiske <>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 22:12:27 +1000
Grass Owl at WTP Melbourne
At 6.02pm today Geoff Walker, Maarten Hulzebosch and myself were standing at the Spit Sign (where the track from the Pt. Wilson Rd. forms a T-intersection with the road along the Spit) when we observed a Grass Owl flying along the salt marsh . It came from the west, flew past us to the east for continued for 300 to 400m then hunted (I described it as hawking) over an area of grassy flat. We had good looks at the dangling legs extended well beyond the tail, its dark upperparts and a whitish breast indicating that it was a male.
Thanks to John & Sue O'Malley who reported their sighting on Birdline on 9/8.
Cheers
Frank Pierce