birding-aus

Bell Miners in Royal Park

To: Matthew <>, bird <>
Subject: Bell Miners in Royal Park
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 20:42:30 +1000
There are captive Bell Miners (please, not Bellbirds) in the zoo, which may be the ones Matthew has heard. I am not sure whether any have escaped, but I doubt if the Royal Park habitat would suit them - they would be more likely to stay round in the denser cover inside the Zoo, for what my opinion's worth. Beyond the Zoo I would rather expect the Noisy Miner population to see them off.

Anthea Fleming

Matthew wrote:

Tim and anyone else who wants to have a look, I have seen this pale headed rosella thrice. Each time I come from Park street following the tram that cuts through the park. Twice they have been on the path side of the tram tracks in the fairways and once on the other side of the track on the other fairway. Each time this particular one has had an eastern rosella near it (possibly a mate) and I have spotted half a dozen other easterns in this same area. Most times I have also found 7 or more pairs of red rumps on the grass. Thats very interesting that there there is records of a small group of paleheads for near 10 years. I supose the zoo is a holder of many exotic species so any strange thing could escape and set up shop nearby! The other curious thing I find with Royal Park is that there are bell birds but they seem to only live in and around the zoo, once you get away from the zoo fenceline you dont see them, and you always hear them pinging from the zoo area only. But this is just my novice observation!
Matthew