birding-aus

Fortuitous predation by raptors

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Fortuitous predation by raptors
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 16:57:02 +1000
Hi All,
Thinking up a succinct subject line to introduce the question was a challenge.
Arising out of Canberra-based thoughts and concern over the Little Eagle, I
have corresponded a bit with Stephen Debus about: in particular, predation by
the Wedge-tailed Eagle on other raptors (actually the Little Eagle). I am
wondering at the possibility that the eagles, indeed any raptors, wouldn't
occasionally take the opportunity - of potential prey getting too close - to
their advantage. The situation I am referring to is when the bird is not
actually hunting (or maybe it is) but other birds such as magpies, ravens,
currawongs, woodswallows, willie wagtails, other raptors that regularly harass
"wedgies" and other raptors (because they prey on them or their young) actually
get caught and killed by the bird they are harassing because they were
harassing it, rather than the predation being intentional. Hence the term
fortuitous because the prey got too close. If you get my intention. Has anyone
seen that happen? The Little Eagle and the Wedge-tailed Eagle are especially
prone to such harassment but surely the Square-tailed Kite, Black-breasted
Buzzard are also (I don't actually know) because so much of their food is nest
robbing. (I think I recall reading of an example like that between Willie
Wagtails and butcherbirds.)

Philip