birding-aus

GHL on 2/8/07

Subject: GHL on 2/8/07
From: Frank Pierce / Janet Mattiske <>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 23:07:12 +1000
GHL on 2/8/07
6 birders (4 cars) saw the Grey-headed Lapwing at Burren Junction on 2/08/06.
We had all arrived separately between 9am and 4 pm on 1/8/07 but despite constant searching of all the reported spots and others we did not locate the bird that day. On 2/8 4 of us gathered at 7am and had just finished searching areas east of the silos when, at 8.40, a local drove up and enquired if we were looking for 'the bird'. She advised that she had just been watching it in the drain on the north side of the road adjacent to the northern grain dump (that is the stockpile of grain on the north side of the road with a green tarp over it), and that it had now flown north over the grain dump to near a small dam. We drove to the area of the dam however, before we could locate the ghl on the ground it flew to the east and landed on the grass area about 100m east of the silo and 100m north of the road. We walked back to that area but the Magpielarks, which were on the ground adjacent to the ghl, took flight and the ghl flew back to the west, landing on the ground about 20m north of the northern cyclone fence around the northern grain dump. The ghl then flew to the dry dam to the north of the northern grain dump and then to the north again to the dam north of the star picket fence. It was here that a distant photo was taken through the telescope. Soon after, at about 9.05, the ghl again flew off to the north, and we lost sight of it after it had passed the line of trees to the north of the dam.
The ghl was not seen again.
Each time it flew the lump on its right foot was clearly visible. The photo taken reveals that it was standing on its left leg only. The local who kindly advised us of the bird's location was Jenny Holcolmbe. She works in the office at the local school and advised that she would be quite happy to give any birders her latest info on the ghl's movements, should they wish to enquire.
A pair of Black Falcons was observed in the area.
The birders who saw the ghl were Ron Imisides, Dick Price, Don & Rhonda Jennings, Janet Mattiske and myself.
I apologise for my delay in issuing this report.

Regards

Frank Pierce