birding-aus

Fraser Island day trip

To: <>
Subject: Fraser Island day trip
From: "Lee & Margi" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 20:54:36 +1000
Hi all,

The Hervey Bay Bird Watchers were treated to a fantastic day on Fraser
Island on Wednesday.  The weather was perfect so we had a fast and enjoyable
trip to the island followed by a really enjoyable bus trip to Eli Creek and
the Rainbow Gorge.  Special thanks must go to Kingfisher Bay Resort for
organising such a fun day of birding for us (I'm so glad I managed to get
time off for work for the day!).

We started the day at the Urangan harbour and were greeted by about 100 Pied
Cormorants, Little Pied Cormorants, Little Black Cormorants and about 20
Pelicans chasing a school of fish within the harbour, it was quite a sight.

Not many birds were seen on the trip over to the island, but I did manage to
add a new bird to my list, the Australasian Gannet, so that was a great
start.

We arrived at the Island and were welcomed by the resort's manager who gave
us the run down of the days activities.  We had time for a quick walk around
the resort and then boarded our bus for a drive across the Island.  First
stop was the Stone Tool Sand Blow, followed by a drive along 75mile beach
(picked up another new bird 'Red Capped Plover' so they day got even
better!)  We stopped for morning tea at Eli Creek where we had some great
views of a pair of Eastern Yellow Robins on a nest and also picked up a
Wedge Tailed Eagle soaring above the dunes.

A short drive back down the beach (with a Brahminy Kite flying along side
the bus) we stopped at Rainbow Gorge for a walk up to some sand dunes and
saw more White Cheeked Honeyeaters than we could count.

After that it was back to the resort where we had time to walk around the
dunes and tracks to pick up a few more species for the day.

We all had a great day and it sure was hard to go back to work today after
being outside on what was a perfect day.

The full list for the day was as follows.

Sighted at the harbour:

Crow

Osprey

Pied Cormorant