birding-aus

Red Rump Hen in Sydney Park, St Peters (Sydney)

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Red Rump Hen in Sydney Park, St Peters (Sydney)
From: "storm" <>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 14:09:22 +1000
A friend and I saw an oversized budgie, which we quickly decided was a
red-rump hen, feeding in Sydney Park today. The bird was feeding with a
group of crested pigeons and making short work of what ever it was eating.

An hour later the bird was still with the same flock eating away.

A small point about field guides. I've got three at home (Pizzy, Morecome
and Simpson and Day) and it's interesting to see which illustrator has drawn
the bird most like I saw it - in this case it is Nicholas Day.

There were also a lot of Fairy Martins (usually I only see the Welcome
Swallows).

cheers

storm