birding-aus

South Coast trip report

Subject: South Coast trip report
From: "Grant Private name" <>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:31:33 +1000
Nick & Liz Livanos and myself spent 2 nights on the South Coast last week picking up some much needed southern endemics. Our first stop was Barren Grounds where I finally caught up with EASTERN BRISTLEBIRD. What a great bird and so much better looking then the field guide illustrations. Also here we saw 1 Beautiful Firetail, Southern Emu-wren, Gang-gang Cockatoo, Superb Lyrebird and heaps of honeyeaters. We then drove to our accomodation in Merimbula with nothing exciting seen on the way. Next morning we woke early and headed to Ben Boyd NP, in particular Green Cape. At the headland we watched Pacific Gull, Aust. Gannet and several YELLOW-NOSED ALBATROSS. A possible Wandering Albatross and an unidentified Giant-petrel were annoying dips. In the nearby heath Tawny-crowned Honeyeaters were seen as were more Emu-wrens and a magnificent White-bellied Sea-eagle. Back to the headland for lunch which was a great move as we saw the highlight of the trip, a solitary BLACK-FACED CORMORANT feeding just off the headland, what a surprise!! Our next stop was a small beach north of the headland where we saw a HOODED PLOVER. Next day we headed for home. Stopped at a nature reserve west of Tathra and added Crescent, White-naped and Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters to the list. At Jervis Bay we dipped on Ground Parrot, again!, but saw 5 Glossy Black-cockatoo and Nick got glimpses of Eastern Bristlebird. Our last stop before dark was at Outer Harbour in Wollongong. As we walked along the breakwall Striated Heron and White-fronted Tern were seen, as well as 2 juvenile Pacific Gulls. We dipped on Kelp Gull!!!!!
All up we saw over 110 species. I got 4 lifers and 7 year ticks.

Cheers,
Grant Brosie

Research and compare new cars side by side at carpoint.com.au http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F833884&_t=54321&_r=hotmail_endtext&_m=EXT