birding-aus

Orange-bellied Parrots search: no luck

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Orange-bellied Parrots search: no luck
From: Charles Hunter <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:26:54 +1000 (EST)
Hi all,

  I spend several hours searching for Orange-bellied parrots on the weekend to
no avail.

  I focused on 4 main areas, Western Treatment Plant (from Werribee South to
Spit WR), Lake Connewarre (North of the lake) and attempted to enter Swan
Island but was stopped.

  I should have done some more research about permits for Swan Is. I followed
the advice of John Bransbury?s ?Where to find birds? but the guard would not
budge. In hindsight this was a big positive given the predicament of this bird.

  What I did see close to the Spit Wildlife Reserve were three Foxes and dozens
of rabbits.

  At Lake Connewarre I was surprised that I could get within metres of waders
(at the very north-east corner).

  Some of the birds seen included:

  Double-banded Plover (WTP)
  Black-winged-Stilt (WTP)
  Pied Oystercatcher (WTP, many banded)
  Brown Falcon (WTP)
  European Goldfinches (WTP, Spit WR, hundreds)
  Double-banded Plover (Spit WR and Lake Connewarre)
  Red-capped Plover (Lake Connewarre)
  Yellow-rumped Thornbill (Lake Connewarre, new bird for me).
  Pacific Gull (WTP, new bird for me)
  Great Egret (WTP)
  Red-necked Stint (Lake Connewarre)
  Various cormorants
  Black-shouldered Kite (WTP)
  Skylark (WTP)
  Yellow-billed Spoonbill (Lake Connewarre)

  Other
  Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo (Melbourne Botanical Gardens)
  Bell Miner (Melbourne Botanical Gardens)
  Song Thrush (Melbourne Botanical Gardens, new sighting for Australia for me.
Seen however about 1 month ago in Holland Park, London)!

  Regards,
  Charles Hunter
  Paddington, Sydney