birding-aus

G H Lapwing We are all nomal?

Subject: G H Lapwing We are all nomal?
From: "colin judkins" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 17:00:11 +1000
They said i was completely crazy, all that way to see just one bird, what if it's not there, how will you find it, etc etc They said i was absolutely nuts, loopy, the adjectives kept flowing, but not deterred, the opportunity finally arose as i did at 3.30am on a cold Melbourne Friday morn and off i went with just myself for company along with that "you are crazy" ringing in my ear. I'll show them. That night camped in the bush still an hour or so's drive from Burren Junction, i tried to keep warm around my campfire, self doubt starting to set in, what if it's gone, or worse still what if it's still there and i can't find it. Dawn broke after a restless nights sleep, packed up and on the road again, that word crazy resounding in my head. With excitement building, a nervous energy took over, i needed to pee but i was so close, can't stop now, got to keep going and then on the horizon, the silo's. My heart skipped a beat, now the fun begins. I'm on my own, no other birdos within cooee to help with the search. Where do i start, i walk the area between the road and the railway tracks, over the tracks and i search the area beyond, back in the car and around to the dam, scope out, no GHL. Don' t panic, back to the silo's and i start to walk the area north of the road methodically in grid formation, don't panic, don't panic (Dads Army came to mind) the word "crazy" keep coming to me, an hours gone when then right in front of me, there he, or she is. What a buzz, relief, excitement what a feeling, only other birdos would understand. Now for that pee! Thanks to all for their reports that kept coming in, that gave me the incentive to go for it. Back in Melbourne on Tuesday after a few side trips thrown in, a Grey Falcon in Lightning Ridge was good, along with another 110 birds. 2720 ks for the trip. They said i was crazy, well maybe just a little?