birding-aus

[Fwd: [Birding-Aus] RE: Spangled Drongo Pruning Leaves]

Subject: [Fwd: [Birding-Aus] RE: Spangled Drongo Pruning Leaves]
From: Ian Cowan <>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 20:51:10 +1000
   I have noted this behaviour of leaf pruning of small branches by
   Drongos several times - they tend to return to the denuded branch over
   the next several days and use it as a perch to call from.  One in my
   yard earlier this year was prepared by (I assume) the parent bird, and
   then used as a perch by a very young bird just out of the nest over
   the next couple of days - very exposed, not the more common bird
   behaviour of keeping the young out of sight after they leave the nest.
   Ian Cowan
   Clifton Beach 4879
   see the birds of Clifton Beach at
   [1]http://www.cliftonbeach.net/BirdsoCB