birding-aus

RE: Shark Liver Oil and Polarised Light

To: "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: RE: Shark Liver Oil and Polarised Light
From: "Simon Mustoe" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 16:27:43 +1000
Hi,

Birds I understand can see polarized light. There is something on the web
about albatrosses having two foveas, which are the area of the eye used for
acute sight perception - biologists out there may understand this. What I do
know is that when you drip oil off the back of a boat, birds will go for it
even if there is no detectable food and their ability to find patches of
prey on the sea is as much determined by their ability to see oil, in my
opinion, as it is on their ability to smell it.

It is quite possible that birds live in this amazingly colourful world where
they can see rainbow patterns on the surface of the ocean which we are blind
to and indicate the presence of food. After all, most dead ocean dwelling
beasts are amazingly oily.

On a pelagic recently we had very rough weather and waves were crashing over
the stern. Some shark liver berley was still in the berley tray and it
gradually dissolved until occasionally all that would enter the water was a
drip of oily saltwater off the corner of the tray. You could see it happen
so just after a wave hit the side of the vessel and spray hit the tray, the
material would wash towards the corner and a single drip would form then
drop into the ocean. All it took was one drip to hit the white-water off the
stern and a dozen wedge-tailed shearwaters would dive into it. It was
imperceptible to me until about 100m behind the vessel when the oil had
spread to form a round and very slight calm patch.

This was not visible directly behind the boat simply because the white-water
was far too violent and yet the birds were able to detect it seconds after a
single drip.

I agree, the results of the recent studies merely prove that putting oil in
the water causes birds to follow the trail, which is fine if there is some
wind or the vessel is moving and as long as there is no 'food' evident in
the oil.

Cheers,

Simon.