birding-aus

Cat Control

To: Graham Buchan <>
Subject: Cat Control
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:43:31 +1000
On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 11:21:53AM +1000, Graham Buchan wrote:
> Has anyone worked out its effect on birds? Surely some birds can hear well
> into this frequency range? No cats and no birds does not..ahem..sound good.

Nope.  The best I've seen for a bird is a high frequency (60db) limit of
12khz for a  Barn Owl.  Younger humans will have a limit around 18khz.
The CatWatch device operated at 21-23khz.  I think the high frequency
limit for cats would be 50+khz.

We have lousy high frequency hearing compared to most mammals, but if
you can not hear a high frequency sound, birds won't either.

Andrew