birding-aus

Inskip Point Kelp Gull

To: Tim Murphy <>,
Subject: Inskip Point Kelp Gull
From: Lynn <>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 20:43:51 +1000
Hi Tim and Birding-aussers,

I have reviewed some video footage of the "Gull" and as Tim pointed out it is in fact a Pacific Gull . So I will eat humble pie and learn to look at a bird book before positively identifying birds that are similar to others. Again that is the beauty of this forum being able to learn from others. The bird in question is an immature bird and the bill was mostly black but horn coloured towards the base. The bill size also gives it away as a Pacific.

But I definitely saw Black-breasted Button-quail and have video footage to prove it !!

If I kept a Queensland list I would now have both Kelp and Pacific Gull on it !

Yours Humbly

Dick Jenkin
DUNGOG NSW

Tim Murphy wrote:

The Woody point Kelp Gull was there in September 2002. That was the only
Kelp Gull in Queensland that I was aware of this in Millennium. I also heard
of one 10 to 15 years ago.

However,  can I please ask, are quite sure of you identification for a Kelp
Gull at Inskip. A Pacific Gull has been recorded recently at Inskip, not a
Kelp Gull. As both are quite rare in QLD, it would seem odd that  a Pacific
went as a Kelp Gull arrived.  I also find them difficult to tell apart when
they are not flying or are far away.

Best rergards

Tim Murphy
Webmaster and Sightings Officer of Birds Queensland.