birding-aus

peregrine falcon, Brisbane area

Subject: peregrine falcon, Brisbane area
From: "inger vandyke" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 07:23:34 +0000

  Hello All,

  Peregrines must be one of the most adaptable raptors around.  They
  seem to capitalise on many human created opportunities.

  Sydney is home to Peregrines who use skyscrapers as roosting/nesting
  areas.  They predate upon mice and rats that live in the city.  I have
  heard of similar stories emanating from New York.

  I have often been pleasantly (I am a raptor fan) surprised to see
  Peregrines in the most unlikely places like mangroves and saltmarsh.
  Unfortunately I can't say that I have seen Peregrines where I live but
  see them in my 'greater back yard' often.

  I have loved watching them use the thermals off the Western
  MacDonnells in the Northern Territory to glide and hunt but the pair
  that live on Montague Island are perhaps the most impressive.  During
  the peak Silver Gull breeding season they usually have chicks of their
  own.  I have seen them doing flying raids on Silver Gull nests
  stealing the gull chicks to feed their offspring.  It's a spectacle I
  could sit and watch all afternoon - amazing.

  Incidentally if anyone on Birding Aus knows of a raptor project in New
  South Wales that requires the help of volunteers, please pass my
  details on or contact me directly.

  Cheers,

  Inger