birding-aus

Grey-headed Lapwing.....can't get enough!

Subject: Grey-headed Lapwing.....can't get enough!
From: "Grant Private name" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 15:28:03 +1000
Everyone,

Well off we headed, back to Burren Junction to see the Grey-headed Lapwing.
This time we were joined by Nick's wife Liz Livanos who came along to see
the lapwing and to add some much needed ticks to her life / year lists.
We departed home early and saw Musk Lorikeet just before Willow Tree.
Stopping at a large dam near Breeza we saw Red-necked Avocet, Pink-eared
Duck and a Koala.
Next major stop was Burren where after 1.5hrs of looking we finally saw the
Grey-headed Lapwing. Much thanks go to the kids who flushed it from a ditch
behind the rest area. Also in town was a very photogenic male White-winged
Fairy-wren.
Missed Black-faced Woodswallow on the drive to Walgett but did see the
highlight of the trip, 8 ORANGE CHATS.....my 297th species for the year!
After doing the Brosie Irish Jig on the side of the road we continued on to
our motel where we saw, finally, 3 RED-TAILED
BLACK-COCKATOO!!!!!.........298 and lifer!
Next day we headed for Carinda, but not before seeing 2 Spotted Bowerbirds
in the main street of Walgett. Along the road we saw large numbers of Bue
Bonnet and Mallee Ringneck. At one stop we had the thrill of watching a
magnificent pair of Red-winged Parrots feeding in an open paddock.
We stopped at a favourite spot of ours and saw 5 Mulga Parrot straight away.
Also saw Southern Whiteface, Singing Honeyeater and Crested Bellbird.
Then we carried on down the western side of the marshes, highlights being
Black-faced Woodswallow, 1 Singing Bushlark, Chestnut-crowned Babbler, 1
Stubble Quail and 3 CRIMSON CHATS.....299!!!!
Beyond Willies Retreat heading towards Warren we had a nice surprise when a
Diamond Dove flew off the road, we all got great views. We also saw more
Chestnut-crowned Babblers in several spots. Our last stop for the day was at
a flooded paddock along this road. The area was filled with birds, 100's of
Welcome Swallows, Black-winged Stilt and Black Swan. Amongst all of them was
1 Glossy Ibis, 3 Australian Shelduck and 4
4 years ticks, 1 lifer and 300 species for the year!!!!!!!! Doesn't get any
better then that. Liz added c. 40 species to her year list of which close to
20 were lifers.

From a very happy birder,
Grant Brosie
Morpeth